Telefon Tel Aviv’s first track in eight years, “Something Akin To Lust,” is definitely something to fawn over. The force sole member of the music project, Joshua Eustis appears to be borrowing a page from his side project Second Woman. The IDM influence on the new timbre and groove of Telefon Tel Aviv is quite apparent. What sets “Something Akin To Lust” separate from the project’s recent live outings and Second Woman, is the composition. There is a definite feeling of wandering through a conduit of lustful energy with the end of the tunnel in sight and vibrant. About halfway through the track, the hollow percs begin to take on a texture that reminiscent of the final scenes of 2001: A Space Odyssey. There is a wall of shoegaze as pads wax and wane making the hairs on your arm erect and places a hope that a full album will soon be released to take the listener on future journeys. As the track comes to an end, there’s a wave that begins to oscillate gently exposing the sawtooth that was taking the listener by the hand all along.
We can’t wait to see this performed live as Telefon Tel Aviv embarks on future shows.
Written by guest author, Frank Lenz
- Mix of the Week: Markus Schulz – #GDJB World Tour: Toronto 2017 - July 14, 2017
- #TeamDoD Weekly Mixtape – Dance Classics Vol. 1 - July 11, 2017
- Chris Liebing Brings the Thunder to Kingdom Austin - July 7, 2017
- Mix of the Week: Chris Liebing: ENTER.Week 13, Main (Space Ibiza, September 25 2014) - July 7, 2017
- Telefon Tel Aviv Drops a New Track (Finally) – Guest Article - July 5, 2017
- Mix of the Week: Dancing Astronaut Mixes: AXIS 184: Kidnap Kid - June 30, 2017
- Mix of the Week: Massive Attack – Live at Melt Music Festival (July 2010) - June 23, 2017
- Night Out at The Shakedown [feat. Soul Control] at The Flat - June 23, 2017
- Goldie Possibly Blows Banksy’s Identity Secret - June 23, 2017
- Mix of the Week: MATERIA Music Radio Show 009 with Paul Ritch - June 16, 2017