Returning under the experimental hip hop record label Stone’s Throw, chillwave pioneer “Washed Out” released their third studio album “Mister Mellow”… and we think the title is just … perfect.Bust out the tin of zig zags and blotter paper. “Mister Mellow” is a press play album meant to be the soundtrack for your summer time trip.
Riddled with the lo-fi loops, strings, backwards recordings and the high reverb vocals everyone has come to love about Washed Out, the album transcends Ernest Greene’s past work by using a wide variety of beats, arrangements and influences while still maintaining their retro-electronic sound. Everything from latin cabana music to jazzy house to driving chillwave, Washed Out eloquently blends tried and true with far out influences.
The use of backwards recordings and one minute tracks as a transition between songs give a hint of a late Beatles sound. The vibe of the album is a true adventure, bringing you up and down with moments of ominous tension broken by sunshine rays of sound. This is an album you listen to when one finds oneself.
“Mister Mellow” gets 8 out of 10 chinchillas (Yes, that’s how we rate albums around here). Be sure to add Mister Mellow to your essential summer playlist and keep a look out for Washed Out on their “Get Lost” tour.
- Gravity Club Review - November 6, 2017
- #TeamDoD Weekly Mixtape – The afterparty - October 18, 2017
- MFAH Mixed Media presents Miguel Migs - October 17, 2017
- Kinda Super Disco ft. Richie Hawtin - October 9, 2017
- Washed out: Mister Mellow Album Review - August 1, 2017
- Middlelands In Search of New Lands To Conquer - July 7, 2017
- Top 10 DJ’s in the USA - July 7, 2017
- I Made This For You – DoD Weekly Mixtape by Chris Zane - June 27, 2017
- Free Press Summer Festival: Then and Now - June 16, 2017
- Victor Calderone: Best of both worlds - June 13, 2017